28 August 2009

Airplane food: Northwest Airlines

When I fly from home, I usually take some spam musubis with me so I can last the flight. On this occasion, however, I didn't have that opportunity and ended up buying some food on the plane. I was very wary since the prices are so high, but some of it turned out to be pretty good.

First, I bought the fruit and yogurt, which I think was $3. I think they advertised it as Greek yogurt and it was definitely better than the stuff I usually get at the grocery store. The problem was the fruits though--blueberries and strawberries. I think the blueberries were fresh, the strawberries may have been frozen, and there was juice in the cup that did not look very appetizing. In addition, I didn't find this very filling.

Ended up buying the fruit and cheese plate a few hours later. (This was a Seattle to Honolulu flight.) I was really happy with this item. It was about $6, I think. It came with three kinds of cheese. One was on the softer side, about the consistency of brie. The next, a little harder, was smoky. And the third was hard enough that it would crumble. It had veins in it and tasted like a Thanksgiving herb--maybe sage or thyme. Each piece was about 1-1.5" squared. I looked at it and knew it would be filling. The plate also came with a few pecans, a small bunch of grapes, a couple of dried apricots, and two kinds of crackers. It was heaven--for airplane food.

The photos show something similar to the fruit and cheese plate I had.

3 Comments:

At 12:04 PM , Blogger Julie said...

What?! Fruit and cheese platters on an airplane?! The next time I travel somewhere (which may be never, but a girl can dream, can't she), I"m totally flying Northwest.

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

yah from the pictures i found online, it seems like it used to be served in first class. good stuff!

 
At 9:42 PM , Blogger dj fuzzylogic said...

whoa, that food looks hella fancy. this is quality like a Umich catered lecture in the history department!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home