31 May 2009

Red Hot and Blue, somewhere just outside DC

While we were in DC earlier this month, Kea's friend also took us to Red Hot and Blue, a small chain that serves barbecue. I was hoping to get some barbecue once I realized that DC was sort of "the South." We all had a half-rack with sides. For me, I only like to eat about four ribs and fill up on sides after that! I had fried okra and beans, which were awesome. Kea had hush puppies and mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes looked really rich, but he liked them. The hush puppies were good, but I still prefer the okra. I wanted to try greens and mac and cheese too but you only get two sides. :( I'm sure that's normal; they are after all "sides," but I just love them so much!

Anyway, the food was awesome. We all made a lot of yummy noises.

The other sort of gimmicky thing is that they give you your drink in a huge pitcher. Well, a small pitcher, but it is huge for a cup! According to the restaurant's website, it sounds like this chain started in Texas and this whole pitcher thing really struck me as one of those "big" Texas things. However, we were just drinking water and iced tea so there's no foul in drinking a lot of those I think.

5 Comments:

At 5:20 AM , Blogger kristen said...

ohmygod that looks so yummy! it doesn't help that i'm really hungry right now, too...

 
At 5:20 AM , Blogger kristen said...

oh yeah, i find it funny that DC is "sort of the South". I wonder how many people might dis/agree with that!

 
At 5:24 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

where do you think the disagreement would come from? like northerners who don't want to think they live in the south?

i remember learning in school that DC was on the border of MD and VA b/c it was in the south and north. but i think kea told me this is one of those history class lies. however i wasn't really paying attention to what he said.

 
At 12:40 PM , Blogger kristen said...

i dunno, i thought actually the argument might go the other way around. i guess i thought DC was much farther north than it really is, geographically. but i mean, like just cause i've been to DC, i wouldn't say i've been to the south. you know?

 
At 3:43 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

yeah, i don't think of it as the south the same way i do of like arkansas or georgia. but in some ways it did feel like the south. like when we were lost on the subway or something, people would just come up and be like, do you need help? and after awhile, we were like, why are people so nice here?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home