16 March 2009

San Francisco Sweets

We spent a lot of time in Westfield, the fancy mall at the corner of Market and Powell. There's a food court in the bottom that has a Peet's, a Beard Papa, and a gelato place called Melt. There was also like Korean food, a Whole Foods-type deli, bar food, um... yeah I didn't eat any of that.

So, first the gelato. A couple of my friends went here everyday! The vanilla had specks in it! They advertised that it was like natural flavors and stuff. You know, whatever, I don't really pay that much attention to that kind of stuff but I know it is a good thing. A small was about $3.50 and you could also get a larger double-scoop for maybe $1 more. I got the stracciatella, which I have loved since I got it at Barnes and Noble in the Lansing Mall. It is like chocolate chip ice cream, except with chocolate shavings (or shrapnel as we termed it in high school). If you've never had gelato--or like me just forgot what it was like--it's lighter than ice cream. Sooo good... I was also curious about an affogato style they had: gelato with espresso. I've seen Barnes and Noble drinks advertised as affogato style; I guess this is where it comes from.

Next, Beard Papa cream puffs. I just had to get one... got a vanilla... I think strawberry is my favorite, but they didn't have it that day. The pastry seemed crispier than the ones I've had in Hawai'i--then again, maybe I usually eat them after they've been in the fridge for a day or two... the taste of the pastry seemed not as good... but maybe it's all in my head. I've heard Beard Papa tastes different everywhere, so I'm experimenting with that idea. lol.

Not sure what I need to say about Peet's. I hadn't had it before, just heard great stuff from Julie and others. It was awesome... I walked two extra blocks for Peet's!

4 Comments:

At 11:10 PM , Blogger Julie said...

What a pretty picture of the gelato bar! Hee hee, I think vanilla with specks in it is fancy, too! :) The Beard Papa's at Ward closed a few months ago. Sad, yeah? That whole area has really taken a hit since GGP has been unable to finish building the damn parking lot.

 
At 4:13 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

Unfortunately, it is not my picture. I realized that this blog is half-ass in so many ways, and one is that I don't take my own pictures. lol. Anyway that is sad about Beard Papa at Ward! GGP is doing poorly nationally right? I think I heard that they were going to have to sell some of their malls...

 
At 4:14 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

Oh, also, speaking of vanilla specks, have you heard of Haagen-Dazs Five? It's like ice cream with only five ingredients (like cream... uh... flavor... uh... idk...). It's like expensive but I want to try it!

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Nah, don't beat yourself up about not being able to take your own pictures! Not like you don't have enough to do as it is. I think it's a miracle when grad students have time to to do anything else other than school work. :)

Yeah, GGP is sucking hard right now, but they seem to have made some particularly poor decisions in Hawaii. On the other hand, the company that owns Windward Mall seems to be thriving.

No, I haven't heard of Haagen-Dazs Five, but it sounds yummy! Maybe we'll buy it for Akira the next time we run out of his potty reward vanilla ice cream. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home