02 January 2009

Green Food Tips from the Current Issue of Bon Appetit

I read my magazines at the local Borders, which I suppose can be seen as green in its own way. Anyway, the current episode had a long list of green food-related tips. Some that were new to me and that I can actually use include:
  1. Buy fair-trade coffee. I already follow their other tips on coffee (using a travel mug and a French press--I think the French press may be more about being able to make coffee as yummy as the coffee houses'), but for some reason have always focused on either buying the cheapest beans or asking my mom to send Kona. They also provided this website as a place to find 100% fair-trade coffee.
  2. Make stock with leftover veggies. I have a hard time using up fresh veggies--especially green onion, celery, and fresh herbs (Are they veggies? Well, whatever), and I am always making soups and stews so this is a perfect tip for me.
  3. And the easiest one: water for tea doesn't need to go until it whistles. As soon as it boils, it is fine, and letting it go further can actually make it too hot.

4 Comments:

At 6:34 AM , Blogger kristen said...

do you think that buying Kona is good in its own way? like supporting Hawaii agriculture? Or is it really like coffee imported to Hawaii from South America? I haven't ever checked.

I think coffee press is one of the most economical ways. no paper filters! aside from the fact that it just plain tastes yummier.

 
At 6:50 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

yeah, kea said he thinks kona is close to fair-trade. like it's all small farms mostly. i mean like if it is 100% kona i guess. so i think i will stick to kona. cuz that website that i thought listed brands actually sells them--and only a couple. so feh on them.

ah, yeah it was interesting how many suggestions on the list were both economical and green.

 
At 5:56 AM , Blogger kristen said...

Oh yay! I love Kona coffee.

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger Cynthia said...

Great Michigan based food blog! Check out mine...

motherskitchen.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home