20 January 2009

Lactose-Free Blueberry Muffins

Had some blueberries in the freezer I wanted to use up. I think we are over blueberry pancakes and prefer banana or chocolate chip. Thought muffins would be a good idea but my lactose intolerance has been a problem lately. It flares up from time to time... maybe due to stress? Seems to also flare up in the winter/spring and then settle down in the summer too. So not sure what that's all about.

Anyway, I was unsure about this recipe--just because anytime you alter traditional recipes, you just never know. Plus, as I was making it, I realized that though lime juice and vanilla are listed in the ingredient list, they aren't mentioned in the directions! Sketchy! (I ended up just adding them right before the blueberries.)

They came out great though! And I even subbed lime zest for juice since the lime I bought was dry. Seriously no juice. It was silly--a very silly failure of a lime. I think these are so great because they are heavy on the blueberries. One muffin I had this morning had all the blueberries on one side and the side without was kind of sad. :( The sugar sprinkled on top are also great--a bit of crunch.

Oh and regardless of the directions, do not fill muffin liners to the top! I just evenly distributed the batter into 18 cups (as it also says) and that worked very well.

1 Comments:

At 6:07 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Sounds yummy! Isn't it weird how limes can fool you like that? Must be vampire bats. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home