10 March 2007

Amadeus and Cafe Zola

The food at Amadeus was good, some of it spectacular. We ordered two combo plates, one veggie combo, two extra salads, and two desserts for five of us. I'm not really sure what the logic was behind that becuase the husbands ended up still hungry, but I guess it is their own fault for staying at the sports bar across the street to finish watching the basketball game. I guess it was because the combo plates sounded really big. Anyway, I had too much to eat so they should've spoken up and I would've shared with them!

The kielbasa was very popular as was the apple torte. The cabbage roll was pretty good too. It tasted like the kind my mom used to make. Of course she is Chinese American so I have no idea if it's "authentic," but I liked it! The pierogis were underwhelming. I think that I expected fatter dumplings. I also like it when there's a mixed filling while these were only pork, mushroom, or cheese.

I think I'm also developing a taste for wine.

For breakfast at Cafe Zola, I had a ratatouille crepe and loved it. I'm not sure if I've ever had ratatouille before but somehow it was exactly what I expected--except for the purple crepe. Not sure why it was purple, but it was cool. The crepe also had sour cream on top and was the biggest crepe I have ever seen, like a half sheet of folder paper. Oh I did start craving cheese part way through so I might try a crepe with cheese next time.

Kea had the Black Forest waffle with a side of chorizo. I took some and both were yummy. Our friends had the strawberry banana waffle and the Turkish eggs. The fruits on the waffle and the veggies with the eggs looked really fresh. The eggs looked like they were done in an oven. I don't know, but I have decided that I like crepes even better than omelettes. Kea and I shared the Irish breakfast tea, which was good, but boring; I should have insisted on genmaicha. Our friends had coffee and said it was very strong.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:05 PM , Blogger Julie said...

What kind of ingredients does your mom use in her cabbage rolls? Yum. :) I wonder why your crepe was purple! Speaking of fresh fruit, did you know that at Macaroni Grill, the keiki meals offer a choice of ice cream sundae or fresh strawberries for dessert? I thought that was great.

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

my mom hasn't made cabbage rolls in a really long time but i remember there being ground meat, tomatoes, and oatmeal. weird yeah? i think it was just to stretch the meat or make it healthier, but in any case, it didn't taste like oatmeal.

i love macaroni grill! it is one of the only chains worth going to i think.

 
At 8:33 PM , Blogger archi.monkey said...

Starting to like wines? We should check out the A*muse wine bar in the design center when you come home.

 
At 5:19 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Wow, oatmeal? That's nuts! Actually, yeah, I guess I can see it being part of a savory dish. So many culinary ideas...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home