12 January 2007

Florentine Cannellini One Pot (off a can of Bush's Beans)

This is one of the recipes Kea and I have in rotation, truly off a can of Bush's Beans. It's quick, easy, yummy, and full of fiber.

4 slices bacon, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (14 oz) can chopped spinach, drained*
3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
1 (15-16 oz) can of EACH drained and rinsed: cannelini beans,** dark red kidney beans, light red kidney beans
1/2 c. sun-dried tomatoes, cut in thin strips
1 t dried basil
Garnish: shredded parmesan

Brown bacon over high heat in large stockpot, about 8 minutes.*** Add garlic and onion, saute 6 minutes. Add spinach, saute 2 minutes. Add beans and all remaining ingredients. Simmer 10 minutes.

*I use frozen spinach because canned spinach seems gross to me.
**I use something called Northern beans because cannelini's cost more and they look the same.
***My onion pieces were about twice the size of my bacon pieces so the bacon got burnt. So you probably either want to throw the garlic and onion in earlier or make sure the bacon is not chopped too small and the onion is not chopped too big.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:12 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Ooh, bacon! I just had some this morning. Isn't it great when you can find a yummy recipe on the back of a can? hee hee. Anyway, I'd like to give this one a try, but first I have to ask you how essential you think the sun dried tomatoes are. I have some people living in my household who absolutely refuse to eat them, for some reason.

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

the sun-dried tomatoes are the best part! maybe if you could put in something else with strong flavor... maybe just spices? i don't know...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home