17 December 2006

30 Minute Shepherd's Pie via Rachael Ray

This recipe has been in my file for like a year. It looked kinda labor-intensive--I generally like recipes where you do the whole thing in one pot. I decided to do it now though since school's out.

It wasn't bad, though I did dirty a lot of dishes. It was my first time making mashed potatoes, my first time making shepherd's pie, maybe even my first time eating shepherd's pie. I don't think I even heard of shepherd's pie until high school or college, but it sounded good!

I used chicken broth rather than cream in the potatoes, but I think I would try it with cream next time. Cooking with cream is just foreign to me. Cooking with butter is even kind of new for me. I think I was a vegetarian when I first started cooking.

I couldn't find sweet paprika, so just used regular, but I think that's just for looks anyway.

We also threw some parmesan on top since the mashed potatoes were a little bland.

I would also put the onions in earlier than it says because I ended up overcooking the meat while waiting for the onions to cook.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:35 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Hey, I just made mashed potatoes for the first time recently, too (for Thanksgiving)! This recipe looks yummy. I think even Kawika, the potato hater, would enjoy it. :)

 
At 2:57 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

wow, it always amazes me the foods that people can dislike.

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger Nicole said...

This is the second post I've seen lately about Shepard's Pie! The other one was over at Coconut and Lime. I've never made it myself but I do enjoy eating it and now that I keep reading about it, I think I might try it!

Nicole from Pinchmysalt.com

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Yeah, I know. Not only does Kawika hate potatoes, but anything with a similar consistency, such as breadfruit (I know, what kind of Samoan person is he? heh heh). He does like my Aunty Shirley's hot potato salad, though. I guess if you put enough mayonnaise and melted cheese on anything, though, he'd like it. :)

 
At 3:01 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

wow, melted cheese? my mom's hot potato salad has celery, imitation crab, probably mayo... i don't know what else...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home