04 September 2008

Stuffed Zucchini

This time of the semester--before things get crazy--I like to experiment with new recipes. I also like to avoid soups and stews as that's what I'll be eating through the long, long winter. Flipping through my recipes, I came across some for stuffed zucchini. There was Zucchini with Quinoa Stuffing, recently published in Real Simple; Veg Stuffed Yellow Squash, which I came across somewhere online; but Kea and I decided that we wanted meat so I searched and found this recipe. Ah Cooks.com--you always come through for me.

Actually that's not true. Cooks is a great resource but you just never know with the recipes. I was nervous about this but it came out great! I even used generic tomato sauce. And subbed tarragon for some of the basil because we RAN OUT OF BASIL. How does this shit happen!? I also added some salt while cooking the turkey because it worried me that the only salt in this recipe was in the 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire and 1 tablespoon of Parm. Plus you're supposed to season meat before you cook it right? Anyway, I have a light hand when it comes to salt and I was worried this would still be too bland. Before tasting it I thought I probably should've seasoned the zucchini too! Dar dar! But alas, it turned out great. I even cut the zucchini a little uneven but it cooked fine.

We ate it straight--using the plain zucchini sort of like rice or potatoes. I think this recipe is very forgiving!

Also, I did a coarse chop on the part of the zucchini I scooped out and stuck in the freezer for future use. I figure I can throw it in a soup or stew. Or like enchiladas.

I also found another stuffed zucchini recipe in which lean protein (eggs) is represented that I think I might try next time. Just to mix it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home