18 August 2008

My Own Visit to Mana Bu's

So after reading this post just a few days before I was scheduled to leave Hawai'i, I did manage to make it to Mana Bu's. Like my mom said, it was my "last meal."

My favorites:
  • any musubi with shiso
  • coffee gelatin: I would recommend sharing with a friend unless you are really hungry! I am going to try to make this myself--I will be the star of my program if I succeed. haha!
  • sweet potato salad: purple potato, macadamias, corn, peas, and a tiny bit of mayo.
  • anything with ten grain: It was just amazing how it was just like white rice--but I assume healthier. Same with the brown rice.
The rest was okay but not that special:
  • hijiki and most others: too mild for my taste.
  • miso yaki: the grilling made the crust too hard to chew. The grilled musubi at Tokkuri-tei was way better. Of course more expensive too.
Other notes:
  • I didn't get to try the konbu or the gobo--saved them for my sister. I'd like to try those.
  • We went at about 11:15 on Saturday--that's fifteen minutes after they opened and some things were already unavailable. There were two other groups that came in right after us too so I hurried up and grabbed stuff.
  • The owners are so cute! They seemed not to be too comfortable with English. I bet they are happy when customers speak Japanese to them.
  • They have cute bags and chopsticks with their logo!

2 Comments:

At 9:52 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Ooh, I so want to go there! Did I tell you that my parents went this past weekend? My mom loved the ten grain stuff, too. I think my dad had one of the desserts and enjoyed it. Yay for cute packaging!

 
At 10:58 PM , Blogger kasey said...

You got cute bags and chopsticks? I think I got plain bag and a spoon for my custard. But yeah, I agree with you on your musubi picks. I also tried the curry pilaf one which was ...okay...I think I like more traditional tasting musubis and the curry kind of dried out the rice or something. Oh, the teri spam one was good too. I need to try their coffee jello. Maybe I can convince my bf to go back tomorrow...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home