01 July 2008

Ramen Series, Part I: I Love Instant

I love instant ramen far too much. I know it is supposed to be like college student food, poor people food. To be fair, I guess I am still a college student, but it's not about that. I seriously love instant ramen. I eat it when I have a cold or sinus infection, going with the theory that at least it's hot soup even if it's got little nutritional value. I also just like to have it for breakfast sometimes, especially if it's cold or I am in the mood for something salty. I think I generally prefer salty over sweet so breakfast options anger me sometimes.

I think my love for instant ramen is also emotional though. Even Kea doesn't understand it. He never eats the stuff. So it can't be a Hawai'i thing. I think in my home, instant ramen was a weird kind of treat. Like if we wanted it for breakfast, we could only do that if we had enough time. But the best was when my dad would make instant ramen after we got home at night--maybe after a movie or going to the carnival. We'd be driving home and my dad would propose the idea. It was very exciting, sort of like a midnight snack. He'd top the noodles with whatever we had in the fridge--slices of fishcake or leftover steak, pork chops, or barbecue chicken, leftover boiled won bok, choi sum, or mustard cabbage. And we'd sit around the folding table in the TV room, my parents commenting on how big our appetites were and how they would need to make an extra package next time.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 5:58 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Yay for new posts! I like how your dad jazzed up the ramen with extra goodies from the fridge. Akira loves instant ramen, too. I try to put fun things like sliced chicken and veggies on top, but he often picks them off. Oh well, his palate will expand someday.

 
At 8:17 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

yay for having reader(s) even though i hardly post!

 
At 10:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I like instant ramen too. I've taken to stirring a raw egg into it so that the liquid cooks the egg in strands - like you would for miso soup. And it definitely has to be maruchan brand. Although, in terms of saimin, S&S has a special place in my heart. :)

 
At 1:42 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

ooh, i'm going to try the egg thing! do you put it in right at the beginning?
S&S is the kind they sell at football games and carnivals right? The one in the cup but it's not like Cup o'Noodle? If so, yeah I like that one a lot too. But realy I like anykine, even Cup o'Noodle. haha.

 
At 11:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love how we chat on multiple websites. :) For the ramen, usually I boil the water first and then throw in the noodles (like making spaghetti i guess), so right when the noodles are done, I turn off the heat and add the egg. You can either crack it straight in and use your chopsticks to scramble it in the water or scramble it on the side first and then pour it in. Either way, stir it in with the chopsticks and the heat from the liquid should cook it just fine. It kind of gives the ramen a slightly "creamier" consistency? I like it and it kind of fills me up more. --Still looking for my resources, I ended up using some other stuff for my actual paper. :)

 
At 8:33 AM , Blogger archi.monkey said...

i've come to like the frozen ramen over the dry instant kine lately... takes more work, but oh, so tasty!

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

what is frozen ramen--like S&S?

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger kristen said...

hey! egg and rice, spam and sausage is a salty breakfast option! which i love.

for some reason, i usually only want instant ramen the moment someone else makes it. then i eat some of theirs hehe.

i'm late, i know.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home