25 December 2007

Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon and Sweet Potatoes

I was charged with bringing a salad to a friend's party on Christmas Eve. It being the holiday and all, I felt like it had to be a somewhat special salad. Kea likes spinach much better than lettuce (and last night I found out that a lot of other people do too) so I knew I wanted to make spinach salad. And I like green salad with potato in it--my mom started doing this a couple years ago. I finally settled on this recipe.

I didn't slice the sweet potato like in the picture because the text says 1" slices. So I did that first, but the pieces seemed so big so I cut them into chunks. I think next time I would just shoot for bite-size chunks. That seems like a good rule for items in salads. Roasting the sweet potato was really good; I think my mom just throws in boiled potatoes, but the roasted ones hold together better rather than getting smushed.

I also subbed feta for chevre cuz I don't like goat cheese.

Another challenge was that this is supposed to be a warm salad, but we had to drive an hour to the party. I kept everything separate--spinach in a bag, and sweet potato, bacon, and dressing each in their own Tupperware and then assembled when we got there. I thought about heating the potatoes, bacon, and dressing, but ended up not. Maybe next time I would heat the dressing cuz I ended up with some coagulated bacon fat stuck in the Tupperware. lol. Yummy.

It went over really well though. And people thought it was fancy. lol.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:39 AM , Blogger MattMSU said...

Yum! This looks really good... i think John would love this too. I'm gonna show him and maybe we'll make it sometime.

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger Julie said...

It never occurred to me to put potato in green salad! What a good idea!

Kawika likes spinach better than lettuce, too. Must be a guy thing. :)

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

i don't know where my mom got the potato idea. restaurant maybe?

other people at the party agreed that they liked spinach better than lettuce too. *shrug* i always thought kea was just weird.

 
At 9:56 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Actually, I just remembered having potato on a salad at Pietro's, but it wasn't prepared the same way. It was in really long, thin, uncooked strips.

I like spinach and lettuce, but I tend to like lettuce better for everyday things. I guess you and I are the weird ones, then? ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home