08 December 2007

Chichidango

I made chichidango for two potlucks at school and was sort of surprised at how well it went over. Kea and I were eating the corners the night before and we love it of course but I was trying to imagine how it would taste to someone who had never had it before. I think some people think the texture is weird. And I'm sure a big part of it's appeal for us is that it tastes like home. *sigh* But yeah, people liked it. One of my friend's said it tasted like a sugar cookie with a different texture and a couple other folks said it was like gummi bears. Oh and some folks appreciated the dairy-free, wheat-free element. Anyway, here is the recipe my mom sent me. It is probably from Hawaii's Best Mochi Recipes.

Tri-Colored Mochi (Baked)
1 lb. mochiko (16 oz box)
2 c sugar
1 t baking powder
1 can coconut milk (12 oz)
2 c water*
1 t vanilla
food color, red and green

In a large mixing bowl combine mochiko, sugar and baking powder. Blend water, coconut milk and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients gradually, mixing thoroughly with whisk or spoon.

Remove 2 c of mixture. Add about 3 drops of green coloring. Pour into greased 9X13 inch pan. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Pour 2 c white mixture over first layer. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.

Add red coloring to remaining mixture and pour over second layer. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Cool uncovered, preferably overnight. Cover with clean dish cloth. Cut with plastic knife when mochi is totally cooled. [Take the foil off as soon as you take it out of the oven; otherwise the foil will sink as it cools and stick to the top!]

Optional: Coat mochi pieces with kinako or potato starch (or cornstarch). [I think coating it with flour is a requirement, but I used mochiko because I didn't have time to go to the store and it came out fine.]

Lessen water by 1/2 or 1/4 c if firmer mochi is desired. If water is lessened, measure slightly less than 2 c for each layer.

Note that the coconut milk in the freezer is 12 oz. The coconut milk on the shelf is 13-1/2 oz. You need to reduce some water is using the 13-1/2 oz can. 1 cup = 8 oz.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:37 PM , Blogger Julie said...

This might be a fun, less-sugary item for me to make for Akira to take to school for his birthday next year! I'm sure the kids would like the different colors and the sweetness and the teachers and parents would like that it's not as high in sugar content as cookies or cupcakes. :)

 
At 11:56 AM , Blogger lilninja123 said...

I signed up for blogger just so I could leave you comments! hehe. I really like your mochi recipe. I think I might make it for my class tomorrow. --A lot of them are from the mainland so I don't know if they'll like it but since yours was a hit, I will try it too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home