27 December 2007

Baked Sukiyaki (Japanese one-pot dish)

The internet consensus seems to be that sukiyaki is a one-pot dish. Okay then. This recipe is from my aunty. Not sure where she got it, but because of her I know that you can substitute ground venison for the beef. She always makes it for parties when we go to Kaua'i.

I chose to make this as another Japanese dish with easy-to-find ingredients. It was so good! Kea liked it too. I think we like it better than the Oyakodonburi.

I used medium firm tofu, but I think you can use whatever you like. My mom says that the original recipe says you can substitute okara for half of the beef. I love okara but pretty sure i can't find it here. I think my mom has to go to the tofu factory to buy it.

The recipe doesn't say how much mushrooms to use, but I used a couple handfuls. I love mushrooms and probably could've used even more.

I went real light on the sugar cuz I am paranoid about my food being too sweet. I would add a little and taste it.

Baked Sukiyaki
Line 9x13 pan with 2 blocks tofu, drained and mashed.

Fry 2# lean beef, drain oil.
Add 1 lg. minced onion, 1 can minced water chestnut, 1 can sliced bamboo shoots, and sliced Chinese mushrooms (shiitake).
Add 1/2 c. shoyu, less than 1/2 c. sugar, and 2 cloves minced garlic.
Simmer ‘til liquid is absorbed. Pour meat over tofu.

Beat three eggs and pour over entire meat surface. Sprinkle with minced green onions.

Bake at 300 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until eggs are cooked.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:58 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Yeah, I've had sukiyaki that was too sweet and it just ruined the whole experience for me. I'll have Kawika make this so the whole salty-sweet ratio is sure to be correct. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home