15 April 2007

Stomach Problems, Lactose Intolerance, and Yogurt

*sigh*
It's been pretty eventful around here. I think this is about my third week of stomach problems. I think it is lactose intolerance or something--since my dad has it and the web says over 90% of Asians have it. I am hoping it's temporary though--it could be stress or the antibiotics I was on... although I swear the stomach problems started before that...

Anyway, I'm on a steady diet of 1-2 servings of yogurt a day. It seems to work. Probiotics and all that. Apparently they are good bacteria or something. The opposite of antibiotics?

I also learned that it is good to eat yogurt when you are on antibiotics because it can help counter the job antibiotics do on your good bacteria.

So I'm having soy milk in my coffee and just being careful about the other dairy I eat. And everything is mostly okay. I'm eating Yoplait. I like cherry, vanilla, orange creme, apple, and peach. I just realized that the Light has aspartame in it though so I am going to switch to regular. And I'm also considering checking out Dannon since it is on sale.

4 Comments:

At 5:22 PM , Blogger Julie said...

That's cool about yogurt containing probiotics! I didn't know that. My sister and I were just talking the other day about how American medicine is too harsh. Like it kills all the bad stuff and the good stuff in your body. So I'm glad that there's a natural solution!

 
At 8:51 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

well, lani said activia has probiotics but this guy on parental control (on mtv. hee hee) said yogurt has probiotics. in any case, it has some kind of good bacteria.

and yeah, i think it is good to avoid western medicine to a certain extent... except for things like sinus infections and utis.

 
At 10:26 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Ha ha, I just saw in ad in Real Simple (for Danon, I think) that said the company's yogurt had both probiotics *and* prebiotics! Oh, those marketing genuises. ;)

 
At 2:55 PM , Blogger Fumbling said...

Man soy is what kills me, not milk. I once ate at a Chinese vegetarian restaurant (where hardcore Buddhists eat) and I thought my intestines were going to blow up.

~vanessa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home