23 April 2007

Coffee...

The stomach problems are increasing my coffee spending. There's free coffee at work and I used to keep some fat free half-and-half in the fridge, but now that's out. I was drinking soy mochas everyday. Oh, that's no good... at least the campus coffee shop doesn't charge extra for soy. Still... if I buy one drink a day, that's like $20-25 for the week, $80-100 for a month, and about $1000 for a year.

Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes...

I could try to make myself feel better by saying that I'll de-caffeinate over the summer but somehow I doubt that's true. Between my independent study, prepping for my exam (eek!), and teaching, I think I'll be just as busy as I am during the school year!

One possible solution: I'm taking some soy milk in this week so we'll see how that goes. But really, I could have been brewing coffee at home over the weekend. But I don't because I'm also sort of concerned that the drip coffee is harder on my stomach. And I know I can't finish the bag before we leave for the summer. And even if we were not leaving, I can never finish the bag before it loses its taste (although I did buy a new container to store the coffee in the freezer. It's my new strategy for next fall). Oh, and soy caramel lattes from Seattle's Best taste better.

Any suggestions for how I can cut costs, keep myself caffeinated, and keep my tummy and tongue happy?

6 Comments:

At 10:53 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Those General Foods International mixes are actually not that bad! I just tried Rachel's Cafe Vienna mix and it was very refreshing and not too sweet. Plus, you get 18 servings from one container, and I think the containers cost about $5 each, so you'd be saving a ton of money. The creamer that's used is the non-dairy sort and you can prepare it with water or soy milk, so you don't have to worry about it upsetting your stomach. Kawika said that regular coffee is much less acidic than espresso, and the General Foods International mixes include instant coffee.

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger kristen said...

have you tried tea? or (dark)chocolate? some chocolates have caffeine infused (like dagoba, i think), and some cocoa just has caffeine. i'd think the milk was causing the stomach problems, but that's usually with me.

i drink (free) work coffee during the week (1/2 per day) and make my own on weekends with a french press or regular drip if i'm lazy. i don't drink powdered creamer, so if there isn't any half&half or milk or soy, i don't put any. i buy espresso drinks when i feel like i should spoil myself. which is a lot lately ;)

good luck!

 
At 6:55 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

thanks! i used to drink General Foods in high school i think. oh yeah the soy milk in drip coffee seems to be working though...

i have been spoiling myself a lot lately too...

 
At 11:53 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Good! I imagine that this time in the semester must be hellish for you. Spoiling yourself is essential to maintaining your sanity during this time of year. :)

 
At 8:22 AM , Blogger archi.monkey said...

Funny, I do that too, calculating how something small adds up over the year. Tea is a great alternative and packs a pretty good caffeine punch.

I don't care for powdered creamers, but have you tried the liquid version of coffee mate? The hazelnut one is probably my favorite.

 
At 11:50 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

julie: yes, that's what i'm telling myself. i just hope it stops at the end of the term...

archi.monkey: tea? feh. *some* times it works...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home