29 January 2011

Soul

Finally finally went to Soul, a soul food restaurant in Hawai'i. (Word of caution: their website kind of stinks. Not sure why but the links are super slow for me.) This place has been getting a lot of good press. If I remember correctly, they started out as a food truck, and before that, the chef Sean Priester was at Top of Waikiki and getting good press there. And who the hell goes to that restaurant anyways?

Anyway, was trying not to get my hopes up. For one thing, there aren't many places to get soul food in Hawai'i so this place doesn't even have to be good, but it is. I heard the fried chicken was the best in Hawai'i and I'd also heard good things about the vegetarian chili. K and I both had the chicken and chili, which also comes with collard greens, coleslaw, and cornbread. Sooo good. Seriously, the juiciest, most flavorful fried chicken I've ever had. A little on the salty side, but I prefer that to too bland. I wasn't sure about getting fried chicken because I find it's so messy and I usually get lazy about eating it. Not this one though. It's good stuff. K pointed out that they separate (but don't remove) the bone before they fry it. This way, the chicken can cook all the way through without getting dry.

I wasn't that big a fan of the chili, although K and our other friend really liked it. I really liked the cornbread, but, honestly, it was all good. We shared a slice of sweet potato pie after and K said he thinks maybe that was his favorite.

Parking is a pain here, yes, and the restaurant is pretty crowded too. Our party of three got there a little after 6 on a Saturday night and they managed to squeeze us in. Also, the level of fancy is a bit confusing as it looks nice inside, but you go up to the counter to order. We talked about how it reminded us of India Cafe back in the day; both restaurants even have the TV playing "cultural" entertainment. lol.

3 Comments:

At 1:37 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Oooh, yum! A and K are going to love it there (I already knew that J and I would). :)

 
At 5:24 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

oh also i was thinking it is one of those rare places that has great food for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.

 
At 7:12 PM , Blogger Mariko said...

I'm going to have to try it. I have been looking for a good place like this in Hawaii. Thanks for introducing me to it!

I love the look of that bacon wrapped asparagus. Seriously.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home