23 January 2011

Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus

Made this for a family party. I ended up with 14 sticks (6-7 pieces/stick), which used almost two full packs of bacon and I'd say not even half a Costco bag of asparagus. The instructions I found online said to cut the asparagus to the width of the bacon but I might consider cutting it longer next time to up the asparagus:bacon ratio.

I found that cutting the bacon into quarters makes it a good length for wrapping; any shorter and it's messy.

Baked in a single layer on a foil-covered cookie sheet for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. (I find that the back of my oven is hotter so next time I'll rotate the pan halfway through. And soaked the skewers beforehand of course.)

Surprisingly, these don't need to be eaten super hot. Still good at room temperature. They were a big hit--even though my health freak dad was alarmed at the amount of bacon.

3 Comments:

At 4:21 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Yum! One of the best food combos, ever! A couple of my friends made these at a barbecue, but they wrapped one piece of bacon around one (fat) wand of asparagus and grilled them. It would be fun to experiment with different cooking methods. :) And I'm impressed with how much asparagus comes from a single Costco bag!

 
At 4:51 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

yeah i wanted to make it finger food so it would be more pupu-like and definitely would've preferred to grill, but didn't want to turn on the grill just for this. good to know it works both ways!

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Julie said...

I can totally see why you'd only want to use a grill if you were going to cook multiple things on it! Grilling makes for delicious food, but it's a hassle to prep and clean up.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home