28 March 2010

Itsu's Shave Ice in Hilo

Kea's dad drove us down by Pahoa, Kea'au side. On the drive back, I was craving shave ice. I figured Hilo must have and Kea's dad took us to Itsu's. And I had my proof that they really do call it Ice Shave in Hilo. Kea never heard of this. Never had shave ice in Waimea before I guess.

Anyway, there was a sign saying they had been cited Best Shave Ice in Hilo. Promising. And it lived up to its name! Service was a little slow since it was one lady taking the money, doing the ice, the ice cream and azuki, and the syrup. Not like Matsumoto's and Aoki's where they have assembly line. They had a good selection of syrups though. I ordered lilikoi and--I can't remember the other flavor, but I remember they had lychee too. I was eyeing that one but the lady said only can make two flavors! I dunno why. Maybe she's not good at fractions. Anyway, two flavors was good though. Was so refreshing!

Photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubio/76722841/

4 Comments:

At 3:08 PM , Blogger Holly said...

i can't believe i've never been here before. i swear every time i go to hilo i find something new (and often it's something we drive by every time we're there, but don't even notice). it's amazing how much can fit into that little town. it's right by big island candies, too! next time we go to hilo i'll be sure to make a stop here! we usually have lots of spare time to do whatever, and we always end up just going to prince kuhio plaza or KTA, or big island candies.

 
At 5:18 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

I can't believe you've never been there either! I assumed that it would be a regular stop for you and your sister. Did you ever go to Hilo Lunch Shop? My father-in-law bought us fried chicken and musubi from there. It was so good!

Oh and have you been to the thermal pools? They are down by Kea'au/Pahoa area. Very weird, but a unique experience.

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger Holly said...

Hmm... I guess we really just don't do much except go to my aunty's house and grandpa's house in hilo, because i have never been to all those places you're talking about! haha... just recently kristen and tayllor went to the volcanoes and i've been wanting to go!! i'm glad i now know about these places because usually we're pretty bored when we go to hilo... our parents are always running around picking up food and cooking and us kids have nothing to do... haha!

 
At 6:20 PM , Blogger Julie said...

I've never heard of shave ice being referred to the opposite way! How interesting. And what a cute building!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home